Life In Mueang Tak, Thailand



The sun begins its descent over worn-torn Myanmar. From there, it crosses the Thai border and pours over the lush mountains of Mae Sot. Finally, it sets magnificently upon the Ping River of Mueang Tak and gives everything a golden hue.

 

I've lived in Mueang Tak, Thailand since the fall of 2022. I've walked through its morning markets, frequented its cafes, ate at its streetside restaurants, taught in its secondary school and paid respect at its temples. In many ways, Mueang Tak is more like a large town than a city. Though it has a population of just over 95,000 it feels localized. You won't find it on many tour books of Thailand, nor mentioned by Thais of other provinces. For many, it is simply a city of transit or a stop on the road from Bangkok to Chiang Mai.

 

When I first arrived here in Mueang Tak a new world opened to me. I had never been to a street market, or seen such wildlife, or even noticed the variety of fruits which grew from trees. Every day it was like I was filling out new parts of a map inside myself. I was charting new territories and learning from every experience. 

 

People speak about culture shock, but I never had it. I think people may have this experience because they have a pre-established way of doing things. They think that what they grew up doing, or seeing, is the way things should be. Thus, when they contact a different way of life, they are immediately disillusioned. But I always knew things were missing from the society in which I grew up. In some real sense, I knew that there must be a different way of living that was more conducive to a good life. I knew it wasn't all essentially monetary. As I continued to live in Mueang Tak I was fitting pieces of a puzzle rather than shattering the whole structure.

 

Mueang Tak is quintessentially Thai in its make-up. The markets still dominate life despite the presence of two small-sized shopping centres. These markets and street sellers are distributed across the city. From the wholesome fish rice soup stand on the highway to the busy fresh food stands in the centre of the city. Even larger and more varied market stalls appear on Tuesdays, Thursdays and at the weekend. There is no doubt that one of the highlights of living here is the fresh food you can buy at such markets.

 

Though it is quite traditionally Thai there is also a collective of younger businessmen and women bringing life to Mueang Tak. There is a vast array of recently opened cafes and artisan eateries to visit. Such places feel distinctively modern with their European-inspired design and fusion menus. I could make a list of 20 of my favourite places to eat and that list would not be exhaustive. The competition between these new coffee shops makes everyone up their game. 

 

While living and teaching here in Mueang Tak I've gotten insights into Thai life. I see the hard work and creative ventures people embark upon. I also see the love of decoration. Being here for the Thai holiday of Loi Krathong is particularly beautiful. The main street is closed and filled with huge hand-crafted Krathongs (decorated objects to be floated along the Ping River) and an assortment of coloured lights and creative displays.

 

In summary, Mueang Tak is the type of place where you can embed yourself in Thai culture and life. You will see the hustle of market life but also the creativity of new business ventures. Compared to anywhere else I've been in the world it is a humble place. Though you have access to a sports centre, hospital, fresh food, and various goods, Mueang Tak still seems intricately woven in a small-town way. It doesn't seem the view of the Ping River has changed much at all in 100 years.


Support Foreign Teacher Notes Here:

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/foreignteachernotes


Comments

Popular Posts